A short story is a story that is short. There are not many characters in a short story and it is usually set in one place at one time. For the story to be interesting the main character will face some kind of conflict or problem that is resolved through the telling of the story to reach a climax or exciting part which then finishes with a resolution.
Read some short stories by Roald Dahl or other authors to get an idea of what a short story is and then have a go at writing your own!
Plan your short story by thinking about:
Characters – What is the main character like? Name? Age? Who are the other characters?
Setting – Where is your story set? When or what year is it?
Conflict – What conflict or problem will the main character have?
Climax – How will the main character solve the problem? What will happen in the exciting part of the story?
Resolution – What happens at the end of the story?
Be as creative and imaginative as you like. Enjoy the process of writing your own short story.
Enrol in Reading Books for more activities on short stories.
Now that you have spoken and read about relationships have a go at writing an essay on the topic:
What makes a successful relationship?
- In your essay include an introduction that introduces the topic and has a thesis statement that outlines what the essay will be about.
- Your body will be clearly divided into paragraphs where each paragraph discusses one main point and includes supporting evidence and examples.
- Finally the last paragraph of your essay is the conclusion that sums up the main points of your essay and is a place where you can give your opinion on the topic.
For more help on how to write an essay go to the lesson on Essay Writing to give you detailed instructions on how to write an introduction, body and conclusion.
Write about the Rio 2016 Olympic Games using these questions as a guide.
- What were the highlights for you in these Olympic Games?
- Which sports did you enjoy watching?
- Which sports do you not enjoy watching? Why?
- What special moments did the athletes have that you remembered?
- What do you think may happen to the Rio Olympic stadium in the future?
Use your answers to these questions to write a paragraph about the Olympic Games. Begin your paragraph with a topic sentence, then write supporting sentences on your topic and finish it with a concluding sentence.
Go to Paragraph Writing for more help and activities on how to write a paragraph.
Pokémon Go is the latest mobile phone app that people are playing all over the world. Pokémon originated twenty years ago in Japan with video games, trading cards, TV shows, movies and comic books. At the beginning of July the new mobile app Pokémon Go was released and a record number of people are playing this new game.
The aim of the game is to catch and collect Pokémon characters. The mobile phone’s camera and maps are used to locate the characters which is encouraging players to get out and about. This is the new craze with people dressing up and trying to catch as many characters as they can.
Play Pokémon Go! Download the app and play the game ,then write about your experience.
- What happened?
- Where did you go?
- Did you find any Pokémon characters?
- If so, which ones did you catch?
- How many did you catch?
- How long did you play the game for?
- What did you think about the experience?
- Will you play the game again? Why or why not?
- Would you recommend this game to your friends? Explain your answer.
Go to Journal Writing for more writing ideas.