Have a look at these Haunting Photos of Abandoned Olympic Venues From Around The World. Read through the introduction and work out what these numbers are referring to.
Answers: 206 nations, 28 sports, 120 year history, 1896 first modern Olympics held in Athens, 1894 Baron Pierre de Coubertin presented the idea of the modern Olympics, 1900 original thought to unveil the modern Games in Paris, 34 countries with delegates, 2 years a city hosts either the summer or winter Olympics.
Now look at the 12 photos and take notes on what has happened in each place:
1. Ski Jump Tower, Cortina D’ampezzo, Italy, 1956 Winter Olympics Venue
2. Bobsleigh Track, Sarajevo, 1984 Winter Olympics
3. Swimming Pool, Berlin, 1936 Summer Olympics Venue
4. Olympic Village, Athens, 2004 Summer Olympics Venue
5. Ski Jumping Tower, Grenoble, France, 1968 Winter Olympic Games
6. Beach Volleyball Venue, Beijing, 2008 Summer Olympics
7. Tennis Court, Atlanta, 1996 Summer Olympics Venue
8. Soviet Venue, Tallinn, 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics
9. Cinema In The Olympic Village, Mexico City, 1968 Summer Olympics
10. Olympic Rings Monument, Sarajevo, 1984 Winter Olympics Venue
11. Mural, Mechanicsville, Atlanta, 1996 Summer Olympics
12. Roads With Huge Potholes, Sochi, 2014 Winter Olympics
Go to Unit 6 – Scanning, Skimming and Note-taking if you need help with how to take notes effectively.