Look at these jokes with a partner and think about the response to them before you check the answers.
- What is the longest word in the English language?
- What do you call a deer with no eyes?
- What starts with E, ends with E and only has one letter?
- What travels around the world and stays in a corner?
- What has many keys, but can’t open any doors?
- Can a kangaroo jump higher than the Sydney Opera House?
Answers: 1. Smiles - there is a mile between the first letter and the last letter 2. No idea (no eye idea) 3. An envelope 4. A stamp 5. A piano 6. Yes, because the Sydney Opera House can't jump!
With your partner discuss these questions:
- Do you know any jokes in English? Tell your partner.
- Do you know any jokes in your language? Translate them into English and tell your partner. Are they still funny in English? Why/why not?
In your journal write down more jokes that you know from English or translate jokes from your language into English.