Listen to The jobs we’ll lose to machines, discuss Will a robot do your job in the future? and read As robots replace old jobs, new jobs should be invented to have the background information to write a journal entry.
Think about the role of robots and automation in the workforce today and how it is different from the past. How do you think it will change in the future? Write a journal entry of around 200 words on the topic of jobs of the future.
My pet is a chocolate Labrador called Gus. He is two years old and loves the beach and going for walks in the bush, he especially loves to sit on a mattress and float around in the pool like in the photo!
What is your pet like?
Find a photo of your pet and talk about it. If you don’t have a pet now think about a pet you had in the past or a pet that someone you know has or used to have. Answer these questions to help you talk about the pet.
- What type of animal is your pet?
- What is your pet’s name?
- How old is your pet?
- Where did you get your pet from?
- What does your pet normally do?
- What are some special things that your pet does?
- What do you like most about your pet?
- What don’t you like about your pet?
- Would you like to get another pet? If so, explain what pet you would like to get. If not, explain why you don’t want another pet.
Now that you have discussed your pet, write about it in your journal and include a photo.
Look at these jokes with a partner and think about the response to them before you check the answers.
- What is the longest word in the English language?
- What do you call a deer with no eyes?
- What starts with E, ends with E and only has one letter?
- What travels around the world and stays in a corner?
- What has many keys, but can’t open any doors?
- Can a kangaroo jump higher than the Sydney Opera House?
1. Smiles - there is a mile between the first letter and the last letter
2. No idea (no eye idea)
3. An envelope
4. A stamp
5. A piano
6. Yes, because the Sydney Opera House can't jump!
With your partner discuss these questions:
- Do you know any jokes in English? Tell your partner.
- Do you know any jokes in your language? Translate them into English and tell your partner. Are they still funny in English? Why/why not?
In your journal write down more jokes that you know from English or translate jokes from your language into English.
Pokémon Go is the latest mobile phone app that people are playing all over the world. Pokémon originated twenty years ago in Japan with video games, trading cards, TV shows, movies and comic books. At the beginning of July the new mobile app Pokémon Go was released and a record number of people are playing this new game.
The aim of the game is to catch and collect Pokémon characters. The mobile phone’s camera and maps are used to locate the characters which is encouraging players to get out and about. This is the new craze with people dressing up and trying to catch as many characters as they can.
Play Pokémon Go! Download the app and play the game ,then write about your experience.
- What happened?
- Where did you go?
- Did you find any Pokémon characters?
- If so, which ones did you catch?
- How many did you catch?
- How long did you play the game for?
- What did you think about the experience?
- Will you play the game again? Why or why not?
- Would you recommend this game to your friends? Explain your answer.
Go to Journal Writing for more writing ideas.