Listen to this interview by Mandia Sami discussing how Switzerland is holding a competition to find a new national anthem and take notes the first time you listen.
Hundreds enter Swiss competition to find a new national anthem
Listen for a second time and answer these questions.
- What are the common images of Switzerland?
- Do most Swiss people know the lyrics of their current national anthem?
- When was the current national anthem composed?
- What do they not like about the national anthem?
- What percentage of the Swiss population can sing the national anthem without reading the lyrics?
- How many people have sent in a tune for the competition?
- What are the 4 official languages of Switzerland?
- How many people are there in the jury?
- How many songs do the public get to vote for?
- What will they do with the winning anthem?
Answers: 1. mountains, chocolates, clocks, tradition 2. no 3. 1841 4. too hymn like and old 5. 4% 6. more than 200 7. German, French, Italian, Romansch 8. 30 9. 3 10. submit it as a suggestion to the government