Read through this article from The New York Times by Garry Kasparov titled As Robots Replace Old Jobs, New Jobs Should Be Invented.
Match the words on the left to the correct definitions on the right:
- adaptable – A. boring and dull
- doomsaying – B. copy
- replicate – C. use of automatic equipment
- capable – D. to change to suit a new situation
- liberate – E. waste something without thought
- tedious – F. to predict a negative future
- automation – G. to free or release
- squandered – H. able to achieve something
Answers: 1D, 2F, 3B, 4H, 5G, 6A, 7C, 8E
Think about something that has happened to you recently that you can write a news story about.
Answer these questions as you write the most important information about your news story.
Use short, simple sentences and short paragraphs. Don’t forget to include a headline for your news story.
Choose a current news story that you are interested in to talk about. You can either listen to the news story or read about it – in English of course!
Once you have chosen the news story take notes on these questions:
- Who is the story about?
- What happened?
- When did it happen?
- Where did it happen?
- Why did it happen?
- How did it happen?
Now use your notes to tell your partner what your news story is about. Once you have finished telling the news discuss what your opinion is on the news story.