The Claremont Serial Killings podcast by Gary Adshead from The West Australian describes the true story of 3 girls who went missing from a quiet Perth suburb during the mid 1990’s.
Listen to Episode 1: A Killer Strikes Twice
1. Complete this information about the suspected killer and the three girls who went missing.
- Name: Bradley Robert Edwards, Age: ___ , Occupation: ___
- Name: Sarah Spiers, Age: ___ , Occupation:___ , Date missing:___
- Name: Jane Rimmer, Age: ___ , Occupation: ___ , Date missing: ___ , Date body found: ___
- Name: Ciara Glennon: Age: ___
2. Discuss in small groups:
- Describe the suburb of Claremont, what it looks like, the people who live there and things to do in Claremont.
- Search for images of the poster they displayed around Claremont in 1996 to ‘Help Find Sarah’
- Search for images of the 3 girls and the suspected killer.
3. The podcast mentions other criminals that terrorised Perth before the Claremont serial killer.
Divide the class into two groups to research one each. Think about the questions – Who? What? When? Where? How? Then share the information with someone from the other group.
- Eric Edgar Cooke
- David and Catherine Birnie
Answers: Name: Bradley Robert Edwards, Age: 50, Occupation: telecommunications technician and little athletics volunteer Name: Sarah Spiers, Age: 18, Occupation: secretary, Date missing: Jan 26 1996 Name: Jane Rimmer, Age: 23, Occupation: child-care worker, Date missing: June 9 1996, Date body found: Aug 3 1996 Name: Ciara Glennon: Age: 27