Have a look at this form guide from the 2016 Melbourne Cup.
Scan over the guide quickly to answer these questions.
- How many horses are in the race?
- How many metres do the horses race?
- What time does the Melbourne Cup race start?
- Which horse won the Melbourne Cup in 2016?
- Which horse came second?
- Which horse came third?
Answers: 1. 24 horses 2. 3200 metres 3. 12:00pm 4. Almandin 5. Heartbreak City 6. Hartnell
Now skim the guide to find more detail and answer these questions.
- How many horses come from Japan in the race?
- What is the name of the horse that comes from Australia?
- There is one female jockey in the race. What is the name of the horse she is riding?
- Who trained Oceanographer?
- What is the name of the other horse in this race that Oceanographer’s trainer trained?
- How many horses in this race has Robert Hickmott trained?
- Where does the winning horse come from?
- Which country has the most horses in this race?
- For how many metres do the horses run straight?
- How much is the total amount of money that can be won from the race?
Answers: 1. 1 horse 2. Jameka 3. Katelyn Mallyon is riding Assign 4. Charlie Appleby 5. Qewy 6. 3 horses 7. Germany 8. Great Britain 9. 448 metres 10. 6 million dollars
For more activities on scanning and skimming go to Unit 6 Scanning, Skimming and Note-taking.